Friday, December 27, 2013

Review: What My Mother Doesn't Know


What My Mother Doesn't Know

Title: What My Mother Doesn't Know
Author: Sonya Sones
Young Adult


Blurb: 
This book is about me.

It tells 
the heart-stoppingly riveting story 
of my first love.
And also of my second.
And, okay, my third love, too.



It's not that I'm boy crazy.
It's just that even though
I'm almost fifteen
it's like
my mind
and my body
and my heart
just don't seem to be able to agree 
on anything.



My Thoughts: To start off I absolutely love verse novels. It's a weird obsession and when I had the chance to choose a banned book from a giveaway I won, I chose this for the summary not knowing that the novel was in verse. I literally squealed in delight cx. However my happiness didn't last long. To be honest, I was misled by the summary. I thought it would be about a girl who went through multiple boys --- sorta like a life problems the girl struggled with as her mom stood in the background, clueless. What My Mother Doesn't Know didn't give that but I wasn't entirely disappointed by the book. It had good qualities but I couldn't connect with Sophie (I tend not to easily warm up to main characters who make rude remarks so early in the book). The sole reason would be that I didn't like her personality very much. It's not that she wasn't a realistic character --- she is; there are people like Sophie out there but I am not one of them so I had cold feeling towards her more often than not.

Another problem for me was the pace. A novel should have progress and the reader shouldn't feel like there mind was running by the time they finish reading. For example (I'll be broad so there isn't huge spoilers), Sones took readers from one boy to the next and then the last by having Sophie idolize/fantasize about each one then had some event/realization which causes her to think/act on it. In between that were side-events that created some feelings from me but I didn't believe I had time to absorb them before something else was thrusted to me.

I enjoyed the book a lot. Reread it seven times in fact, but that still didn't change my ending thought on the novel. It has some powerful moments but all together I think the novel fell short.



Rating:  

No comments:

Post a Comment