Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: Divine by Mistake



Title: Divine by Mistake
Author: P.C Cast
Adult



Blurb:
         The only excitement Shannon Parker expects while on summer vacation is a little shopping. But when an antique vase calls to her, she finds herself transported to Partholon, where she's treated like a goddess. A very temperamental goddess…
Somehow Shannon has stepped into another's role as the Goddess Incarnate of Epona. And while there's an upside—what woman doesn't like lots of pampering?—it also comes with a ritual marriage to a centaur and threats against her new people. Oh, and everyone disliking her because they think she's her double.
Somehow Shannon needs to figure out how to get back to Oklahoma without being killed, married to a horse or losing her mind….



My Thoughts: Now I have to admit that the only reason I got this book was that it was at a thrift shop which sold books four for a dollar. Once I finished I wished that I had chosen a mystery novel. Divine by Mistake was good at times --- I mean, the idea of everybody having a double in another universe, if you will, is quite a nice idea to write about. If only I could say that Cast wrote this novel with the potential it deserved.

    To start off, the main character annoyed me more times than I could count. She talked and thought so much like Zoey from House of Night ( a vampire story written by Cast and her daughter) that I wouldn't be surprised if the duo somehow writes that Zoey was Shannon in an afterlife. Which goes to show how the Cast daughter shouldn't get all the criticism for the "horrid teen dialogue" and whatnot in HoN.

    Then there was the extremely long description of things --- it just became unnecessary half the time. Beautiful image describing is nice but letting readers use their imagination is better in my opinion.

    And my last main annoyance: the  little realistic nature. I know that this is fantasy but at least some of the reactions and actions taken has to have some reality to it so much so that I start to believe that every part of the fantasy is such a real possibility. Divine didn't have much of it; I found that Shannon accepted what happened to her too quickly. She barely protested or even demanded detailed description or tried her hardest to get back home. She only gave a handful of thoughts about her family and friends that are stuck with her double --- an mean and awful person. I don't recall her asking to peer in at her other world, like her double did before switching them, just to check up on her family and make sure everything was relatively okay.


   The ending was a little too sappy but I love those kind of endings anyway cx although things fell together too perfectly.


My rating: 2.85



No comments:

Post a Comment