Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review: Pushing the Limits



Title: Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits #1)
Author: Katie McGarry
Young Adult





Blurb:

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.
But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.
Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Thoughts:
Apparently I was living under a rock when this novel was floating around the book world. Never heard about it until I win this in a giveaway along with some others. The summary caught me and before I knew it, I was reading pages of pages with little break. Of course that does not mean I didn't hit some snags at times. Often I felt as if I was reading filler chapters or scenes; things just thrown in to make the story have something. I know that's how real life is but, to me, this story overused such events just to put the main characters together or just because.
Also, the constant mention of the hotness of characters irked me a bit. Echo and Noah couldn't be in one place or thinking of each other without noting the other's "sexiness" or amazing smell. That doesn't help a plain jane (me) relate to the main character(s). If a book is getting good then those kind of descriptions can be read with no eye roll, but if I'm warming up to it: forget it.
Pushing the Limit was good overall but there was so many bumps spread out. Everything fell into place too perfectly, although each one of those pieces are possible and realistic when compared to real life; I just find it hard to believe they would all happen to the same people.

My Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment