Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Tricks



Title: Tricks
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Young Adult


Blurb:
   Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is all that can happen when those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons.

Five moving stories remain separate at first, then interweave to tell a larger, powerful story -- a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up. A story about kids figuring out what sex and love are all about, at all costs, while asking themselves, "Can I ever feel okay about myself?"


My Thoughts:

This was probably my least favorite Hopkins book. It just felt as if there was too much "she/he loves me; I love her/him" or "I love she/he; why won't they love me" or "this isn't love is it?" There was a bit too many characters and I could only read one character's point of view and not need to look back to remember who it was. The book tug at your emotions but each story felt so much like the last that their story didn't do the tugging but the one or two lines before the next 'chapter' is what got to you for a brief moment.

Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment